Courses and Grading Procedures

  • AP (Advanced Placement) Courses

    Morrison Academy only weights grades on a 5.0 grading scale for officially-offered Morrison AP courses. Students transferring AP courses from other schools will have grades based on a 5.0 grading scale for only the following courses: AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Statistics, AP Chemistry, AP English and AP United States History. AP courses taken during summer school will have grades based on a 4.0 grading scale.
    Admission into AP courses is granted based on several factors. Students must meet teacher requirements. Those requirements may include recommendations from previous teachers, achievement in previous course work, motivation, and verbal and writing achievement scores on standardized tests. Student course load and extracurricular involvement are sometimes considered to insure that the prospective AP student has adequate time to commit to an AP course.
    Every student in an established AP course is required to take the College Board AP exam in May at personal expense. Any student who chooses not to take the AP exam will lose the 5.0 GPA adjustment for both semesters of the course. Colleges to which seniors have been accepted will be notified of the change in GPA.

  • Auditing a Course

    To audit a course means that the student will enroll in the course and not receive a grade or credit. To be approved, the student agrees to the following conditions:
    • The course will take a timetable slot on the student’s course load
    • The Audit a Course form will be turned into the Counseling Center (indicating school, parent, and student agreement)
    • The student will attend class each day, following school procedures for absences
    • The student will be permitted to audit a maximum of one class per semester
    • The teacher will inform the student in advance of enrolling what the work expectations will be
    • The student will have ‘AUD’ entered as a grade for the course on their report card
    • Auditing a course will follow the same Add/Drop procedures and deadlines as other courses

  • College Courses

    College courses taken by students while still in high school will be displayed in the comment section of their transcripts; however, their scores will not affect high school GPA or credits. This does not apply to officially offered AP courses.

  • Grade Changes

    A grade change that affects a student’s transcript and/or GPA requires a grade correction form to be filled out and signed by the teacher of that course and submitted to the Counseling Center.

  • Incomplete

    An incomplete (INC) cannot be accepted as the final grade for the end of a school semester in any course. Any exception must be approved by the appropriate principal.

  • Independent Studies

    A student wishing to take an independent study must first fill out a proposal form available from the counselor and then receive a signature of approval and agreement from the faculty supervisor of that study. Counselor and/or principal approval is also required. A maximum of one independent study and/or student aide course may be taken in any semester.

  • Repeating Courses

    Students who repeat a course can replace the grade in that course, but no additional credit will be added. For example, a student who took Geometry his freshman year and received a D could retake the course his sophomore year and earn a C. The C would be factored into his GPA (and not the previous D), but only one credit would be granted for the two years of study. Both courses show on the transcript.

  • Summer Courses

     High school level courses taken during the summer will receive credit during the following school semester, but the grade will not affect GPA. For example, a sophomore taking a high school level summer course in Journalism who received 1.0 credit would have that additional credit added to the fall semester of his/her junior year. Summer courses must be approved by a counselor or principal prior to taking the course. (Please see the policy regarding transfer of credits from other institutions.) 

  • Transfer Credit

    An official transcript from the school the student is transferring from needs to be mailed directly to Morrison Academy Admissions. No credit will be granted for any semester that is missing from the school’s official transcript. It is the family’s responsibility to make certain the school mails a final transcript of credits. Only grades received from an English school’s official transcript and from a nationally accredited institution will be counted into the students Cumulative GPA using Morrison Academy’s 4 point scale and 5 point scale for officially-offered Morrison AP courses: AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Statistics, AP Chemistry, AP English and AP United States History.

  • University of Nebraska Courses

    University of Nebraska courses or other similar correspondence courses completed during a school semester will count as a course taken during that semester. The grade and credit will be calculated into the GPA and credits for that school semester. Courses must be approved by a counselor or the principal prior to enrollment.

  • Add/Drop Policies

    Except for transfer students from other schools, students are not permitted to enter a course after the first two weeks of each semester. Students may drop a course after the fourth week with a “W” and the grade to date for the semester. Exceptions to this must have permission granted by the Associate Principal.

  • Response to Course Failure

    A student will only be permitted to continue a specific course if a passing semester grade is earned. Exceptions may be made with the approval of the counselor and principal based on student/family conferencing, their written petition, and course content.